Plant has outer layer of silica containing cells which is called silica cells or Phytolith. These cells is hard like stone.
For an example, when rice husk is burned into dust, it will yield silica ash which is actually ash of silica cells.
Silica cells functions as shields to protect plant from pest and disease attacks.
Novelgro Silica is not a pesticide, but nutrition. Made of silica sand, through a state-of-the-art process transformed into water soluble silica.
Silicon (Si) is one of important plant nutrition, especially the Silicon accumulator plant, such as Gramineae family, rice, sugarcane, bamboo, grass, wheat, sorgum, corn, and others. This kind of plant needs Silicon in significant amount for its growth.
Silicon also improve plants photosynthesis, improve plants resistance toward draught, salinity, alkalinity, extreme wheather change, Si deficiency, mineral toxicity, and act as natural plant protection from pest and disease attack.
Novelgro Silica is suitable for Intergrated Pest management program, for it does not poison the pest and disease, but forms a plants physical shield againts pest and disease. Therefore its does not cause pest and disease resistance as with fungicide and insecticide. Also does not leave any toxic residue to the environment.
- It is natural protection system againts plants pest and disease
- Improve photosynthesis
- Improve plant resistance againts draught
- Improve plant resistance againts salinity and alkalinity
- Improve plant resistance againts extreme weather change
- Improve plant resistance againts Si deficiency
- Improve plant resistance againts mineral toxicity
HOW IT WORKS
Novelgro Silica is water soluble silica which is easily absorbed by plant. This silicon nutrition is transported to outer layer cells (epidermis) to form hard layer (cutilcle) silica cells.
When the silica cell has laminated all outer cell, it will harden plants outer skin and hairs, pest and disease will be difficult to penetrate the cell wall, and the hairs will act as barbed wire to inhibit and even kills the attacking pest.
Aphid is caught between the hard plants hair
(c) Claudio Gratton
Another example of this effect has been demonstrated through a range of trials carried out in sugarcane by Dr Olivia Reynolds. The trials demonstrated that when sugarcane borer fed on sugarcane stalks containing elevated levels of Silicon they experienced major wear on their chewing parts (mandibles). The wear was so severe that it caused weight loss, early moulting and higher rates of mortality of the larvae.
HOW TO USE (watch video)
- For rice plant, dilute 160 ml into 1 tanks (16 L), then spray on the foliage,
- For plants with thinner leaves such as Cucumber, Chilli, Tomato, and others, use lower concentration by diluting 2,5 - 5 ml/liter of water then spray on the foliage.
- As a preventive meassures againts pest and disease, apply Novelgro Silica when there is sign of pest and disease outbreak or when the pest and disease occur for the first time.
- Reapply every 7-14 days (but not earlier than 7 days) until the pest and disease is controlled.
- If there is and pest and disease explotion, it can mixed with other pesticide product.
- Novelgro Silica is best absortion when leaves and other plants part is still young and not hardened.
- Adding non-ionic spray adjuvant will improve spraying efficiency and effectiveness.
- Wash all spraying equipment thoroughly after use.
- Use safely and wisely as advised, according to safety precaution.
- Stable formulation
- Safe to consume
- Leaves no toxic residue
- Ideal for Intergrated Pest Management
- Novelgro Silica is highly alkaline so it is important to check compatibility with fertilisers and pesticides that may react negatively in a high pH spray solution. Any product label that carries a warning statement about mixing with alkaline substances or to buffer pH 5-6 are most at risk. Check product labels for mixing and compatibility statements and make pH adjustments with citric acid or phosphoric acid where appropriate.